People with disabilities
The main building of the Silesian Library (plac Rady Europy 1, Katowice) has been designed with the needs of the disabled in mind. It is not only modern and well equipped, but also meets high global standards. Ramps lead to both the main entrance and the entrance from the parking lot. Inside the building there are two spacious elevators and sanitary facilities adapted for disabled people.
In addition to architectural amenities, the library has multimedia solutions that facilitate reading texts for people with visual disabilities:
- Czytak (The Reader) is a small device designed to be operated by blind and visually impaired people. It plays talking books stored on Compact Flash electronic cards,
- Auto-Lektor (The Auto-Lektor) is a device that enables visually impaired and blind people to read the texts contained in books and magazines. It allows you to scan and then listen to the selected text. The resulting files can be copied to the reader’s own media devices and played outside the library.
The library building located at ul. Ligonia 7 houses the Bibliotherapy Department, which acts as a teachers’ training centre for municipal libraries of the Silesian Voivodeship in the field of reading for the sick and disabled and bibliotherapy. It has been adapted to the needs of people with disabilities by:
- the construction of an external ramp,
- the installation of a wheelchair lift,
- the adaptation of the infrastructure.
ul. Ligonia 7, 40-036 Katowice
tel.: +48 32 251 42 21 wew. 233
We have been recommended by the Polska bez barier (Poland without barriers) portal.