The Main Reading Room is closed during the epidemic!
The Reading Room provides access to books and magazines stored in the library’s storerooms as well as a free reference library (13,000 volumes), which includes a selection of literature from various fields of knowledge. It is arranged according to the systematic classification of the Silesian Library. Separate book collections are also available in the reading room:
- European Documantation Centre
- Kazimierz Smogorzewski (1896-1992), journalist and publicist, covering books and magazines on history, politics, economics, sociology and law,
- Societá Dante Alighieri Library. Committee in Katowice. Contains books and journals in Italian on the subject of culture, art, literature and science,
- Esperanto collection, the core of which is a gift from the Polish Esperanto Association. The collection contains documents in Polish and Esperanto,
- Collections dedicated to Konstanty Wolny (1877-1940), the first Speaker of the Silesian Sejm, Blessed Rev. Dr Emil Szramek (1887–1942), outstanding Silesian pastor and Kazimierz Gołba (1904–1952), writer and publicist.
Computer stations located in the reading room offer access to the Internet, Academica digital interlibrary loan service, Legalis legal information system and databases available in the library network. Five individual workrooms are also available for readers.
Location symbol in the Integra electronic catalogue: CG
A self-service photocopier is available in the reading room for making black-and-white A4 prints and black-and-white and colour scans that can be recorded on a flash drive.
Symbol lokalizacji w katalogu elektronicznym Integro: CG