The collection of the Silesian Library may be used by adult persons registered in the library and also by persons who are at least 13 years of age (enrolled in the Library in the presence of a parent or official guardian who submits a written declaration of accepting responsibility for the minor’s obligations towards the Library). The condition for using reading rooms and lending facilities and gaining access to the services offered by the Library is to have a current library card.
A library user account is required to use the services of the Silesian Library.
A library user account must be created by registering online.
Two types of library cards are issued in the Silesian Library:
- entitling you to use the reading rooms of the library only,
- entitling you to use all library services.
What documents should I provide to receive my library card?
- a completed and hand-signed registration sheet,
- a valid ID with a photo and PESEL number:
- an ID if you are an adult,
- a school ID card if you are a minor,
- a passport if you are a foreigner.
Do you pay any fees when you register at the library?
The one-time fee for issuing a library card is PLN 6.00.
A duplicate of the library card costs PLN 12.00.
The card is issued free of charge to:
- minors over 13 years of age (card with the right to use the reading rooms only),
- pensioners, upon presentation of a valid pensioner’s card,
- unemployed persons, upon submission of confirmation of unemployment status from the Employment Office,
- persons over 60 years of age, upon presentation of an ID,
- disabled persons, upon presentation of a valid disability certificate.
What is the library’s borrowing limit?
- the owner of a library card is entitled to borrow 10 volumes,
- students, doctoral students and scholars (including foreign) of higher education institutions which have concluded a cooperation agreement with the Silesian Library, after submitting the document indicated in the agreement, are entitled to borrow 10 volumes
- researchers, who have presented a document certifying their status as a university researcher, are entitled to borrow 20 volumes,
- foreigners are entitled to borrow 2 volumes.
Additionally, all library cardholders are entitled to use the library’s reading rooms.
Information available during the Silesian Library’s opening hours