The collection of the Silesian Library may be used by adult persons registered in the library and also – upon the guarantee of a parent or legal guardian – by persons who are at least 13 years of age (the second part of the registration sheet signed by a parent and an identity card of a parent or legal guardian are required). The condition for using reading rooms, rentals and accessing the IBUK Libra database is to have a valid library card.
During the epidemic, only online registration is available.
Two types of library cards are issued in the Silesian Library:
- entitling you to use the reading rooms of the library only,
- entitling you to use all library services.
What documents should I provide to receive my library card?
- a completed and hand-signed registration sheet,
- a valid ID with a photo and PESEL number:
- an ID if you are an adult,
- a school ID card if you are a minor,
- a passport if you are a foreigner.
Do you pay any fees when you register at the library?
The one-time fee for issuing a library card is PLN 6.00.
A duplicate of the library card costs PLN 12.00.
The card is issued free of charge to:
- minors over 13 years of age (card with the right to use the reading rooms only),
- pensioners, upon presentation of a valid pensioner’s card,
- unemployed persons, upon submission of confirmation of unemployment status from the Employment Office,
- persons over 60 years of age, upon presentation of an ID,
- disabled persons, upon presentation of a valid disability certificate.
What is the library’s borrowing limit?
- the owner of a library card is entitled to borrow 10 volumes,
- students, doctoral students and scholars (including foreign) of higher education institutions which have concluded a cooperation agreement with the Silesian Library, after submitting the document indicated in the agreement, are entitled to borrow 10 volumes
- researchers, who have presented a document certifying their status as a university researcher, are entitled to borrow 20 volumes,
- foreigners are entitled to borrow 2 volumes.
Additionally, all library cardholders are entitled to use the library’s reading rooms.
For further information, please contact:
Department of Collections
Information available during the Silesian Library’s opening hours